Stuffed Quickbread Rolls
What makes this recipe so “quick and easy” is that the dough is yeast-less and requires no rising time. Once the dough is made, it’s just minutes to form it into rolls – Stuff them with your favorite ingredients, sweet or savory, and bake.
2 1/2 c. flour
2 3/4 tsp. baking powder (if using baking soda use half and omit salt)
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp. oil
3/4 to 1 c. water
1. Mix dry ingredients.
2. Add 3/4 cup water and oil. Stir until it forms a ball. If dough is stiff, add more water. The dough should be soft, not sticky.
3. Knead on a floured surface for 3-4 minutes.
4. Once the dough is formed, take a small ball of it, and dig a small hole in the middle.
5. Inside the hole, you can put a variety of ingredients.
Depending on whether you are going savory or sweet, there are a vast number of options available to you: Here are just a few ideas:
- Pizza stuffing
- Mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Sautéed onions with garlic powder and cheese
- Spinach ricotta mixture
- Chocolate chips or Nutella
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc…)
- Cinnamon-sugar and butter
- And on and on and on…Let your imagination run wild!
6. Once you have stuffed the rolls, pinch the ends together so you seal the roll. Make sure it is sealed so the filling doesn’t seep out.
7. Place the rolls on a non-stick surface – (Parchment paper on a sheet pan works perfectly) and then bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and serve.