Crazy Cool Honey Cornbread
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (1/2 and 1/2 or regular milk works as well)
3 tablespoons honey
1 cup creamed corn
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven - Can use baking dish as well.
3. In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.
4. In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, honey and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. Add in cranberries if using them.
6. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.
7. Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet (or non-stick spray can work for the baking dish as well).
8. Pour the batter into the skillet.
9. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.
10. Serve as is or with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
*Feel free to add veggies to this versatile recipe and make it more savory than sweet. Cheddar cheese, broccoli, peas and especially jalapenos are all great additions that make this dish even healthier and delicious!