Apple Johnny Cakes
2 beaten eggs
¾ cup water
1 cup milk (can use half & half for even richer batter)
4 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 cups yellow cornmeal (can add more for a thicker batter)
2 Granny Smith Apples – peeled and diced
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp Real Maple Syrup
1. In a bowl, combine diced apples with cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup.
2. In a preheated pan, sauté apple mixture with 2 tbsp of butter until fork tender.
3. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In another bowl mix eggs, water, butter, sugar, milk and salt.
5. Stir in cornmeal - Once fully incorporated, fold in apple mixture.
6. Pour batter onto a hot, well greased griddle (you can use non stick spray), using a ¼ cup or an ice cream scooper.
7. Spread each cake to 1/4 inch thick.
8. Cook until golden 2-3 minutes per side.
9. Serve warm with butter and syrup.
Makes 12-14 cakes.