Parmesan Mashed Potatoes With Peas
Feel free to substitute any veggie into these potatoes besides peas – Edamame is great and is high in protein – Broccoli, spinach and green beans are also delicious and good for you!
• 3 pounds red new potatoes, quartered and unpeeled
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 2 teaspoons
• 1/2 cup half and half (use 2% or skim milk for a lower fat option)
• 3 cups veggie stock
• ½ cup of unsalted butter (use a mixture of butter and olive oil to introduce healthier fat – ¼ cup oil and ¼ cup butter)
• 1/2 cup sour cream (can substitute Fat free Chobani Greek Yogurt)
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
• 1 cup of peas (or other cooked veggie option)
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 tsp Garlic and herb powder
Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of salt in a 4-quart saucepan and add stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covered until potatoes are completely tender.
Mash the potatoes with a masher and then add in the milk, butter/oil and sour cream/yogurt and mix slowly. Once combined, fold in the cooked veggie of choice, Parmesan, salt, pepper, garlic powder and serve immediately.