Spinach Artichoke Ricotta Cakes
- 1 (10-ounce) packages chopped frozen spinach (if making in a pan and not cupcakes, you’ll need 2 packages!)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (garlic-herb powder can be substituted – though fresh is better!)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans/bottled/frozen artichoke hearts, drained and thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine spinach, artichokes, olive oil, garlic and lemon zest and mix. Fold in ricotta cheese and combine. Add eggs one at a time and incorporate. Mix in 1½ cups of Parmesan cheese and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour either into a baking pan or individual muffin cups. In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs with remaining Parmesan cheese - Season with salt and pepper and then sprinkle on top of spinach mixture covering it.
Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Spinach mixture should be bubbling and crust should be golden brown. Remove and let rest before cutting. Serve as a side dish or as a main course.