Mini German Pancakes with Apples
1 cup milk
1 heaping tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon salt
Nonstick cooking spray
Apple recipe follows
1/4 cup powdered sugar mixed with 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
APPLE CARAMEL SAUCE:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Gala apple, peeled, cored and diced
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla, zest and eggs in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Add the flour, butter and salt and blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
4. Spray muffin tins well with nonstick cooking spray and pour 1/4 cup batter into each tin, filling about three-quarters full.
5. Bake until puffy and golden on top, about 15 minutes.
6. Remove and let sit on a baking rack for a few minutes.
7. Remove the individual pancakes to a platter. The pancakes will sink slightly in the center.
8. Fill with some of the Apple Caramel Sauce and dust with cinnamon powdered sugar.
Apple Caramel Sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the apples and cook, stirring until soft, about 8 minutes.
3. Whisk in the sugar and cook until the sugar melts and thickens slightly.
4. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool.