Veggie Bean Stew
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup diced mushrooms
1 cup carrot, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
1 cup celery, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
3 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 32 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans (12 ounces)
1 can cannellini beans (12 ounces)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup chicken or veggie stock (water is fine)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
3. Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add small amounts of water, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
4. Add remaining ingredients, and cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
5. Stir occasionally while cooking.
6. If you want to make this stew thicker, you can make a “slurry” by combining 3 tablespoons of flour with ¼ cup of water in a small bowl. Gradually stir until smooth and then add to the stew.
7. Cook, stirring, 5 more minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
Serve with a good crusty piece of bread.