Freeze-Dried Strawberry Hotcakes
You can substitute most any fruit, but this is a CKA fan favorite!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
¾ half and half (substitute skim/nonfat milk for lower fat version)
6 tbs milk
3 tbs light brown sugar
2 tbs unsalted melted butter (substitute non-stick spray for low fat version)
2 tbs strawberry Jam or preserves
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup freeze dried strawberries, chopped
2 cups of hulled and largely diced strawberries, divided
2 tbs real maple syrup
1. In medium sized mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. In another bowl, stir in half and half, milk brown sugar, butter, egg, preserves and vanilla.
3. Combine liquid into dry ingredients until smooth; there may be some lumps.
4. Fold in freeze-dried strawberries and 1 cup of the strawberries, and let batter stand, loosely covered, for 20 min.
5. Make strawberry syrup; Put other cup of cut strawberries into a saucepan and add maple syrup.
6. Simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally – Remove from heat and set aside.
7. Heat griddle over medium heat, then spray or butter it lightly.
8. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons (1/8 cup) and cook until bottoms are golden and bubbles have appeared on top – about 1 min.
9. Flip and cook other side for about a minute as well. Repeat using all the batter.
10. Serve with the strawberry syrup or more fresh fruit and whipped cream.