Fantastic Fresh Fruit Flapjacks
This somewhat decadent recipe is a family favorite because I often incorporate seasonal fruit to a DELICIOUS pancake recipe – Most any fruit will do – let your imagination and your taste buds run wild!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 cup half and half (substitute skim/nonfat milk for lower fat version)
3 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp unsalted melted butter (can eliminate entirely if going lower fat)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp preserves (depends on the fruit you are using – e.g. blueberries – blueberry preserves – If going the banana route, leave this out)
¾ cup of seasonal fruit (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries - If using bananas, mash up two brown spotted bananas in a bowl and incorporate into the batter.)
1. In medium sized mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. In another bowl, stir in half and half, brown sugar, butter, egg, preserves (if using) and vanilla.
3. Combine liquid into dry ingredients until smooth; there may be some lumps. Fold in fruit, and let batter stand, loosely covered, for 20 min.
4. Heat griddle over medium heat, then spray or butter it lightly. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons (1/8 cup) and cook until bottoms are golden and bubbles have appeared on top – about 1 min.
5. Flip and cook other side for about a minute as well. Repeat using all the batter.
OPTIONAL – STRAWBERRY SAUCE - Chop a dozen medium sized strawberries and sauté in a pan with a tbsp of strawberry preserves, 1 tsp of vanilla, 2 tbsp brown sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Once the mixture has cooked down, pour into a bowl and serve as a topping to the pancakes OR serve with conventional maple syrup or more fresh fruit and whipped cream.