Asian Vegan Stir Fry
This dish is not only delicious; it’s super good for you! The fresh and crunchy veggies and high protein tofu, mixed with the sweet and sour sauce on a bed of rice or noodles will transport you to you favorite Chinese restaurant!
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Place the sugar, vinegar, water, soy sauce, ketchup and cornstarch in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil.
2. Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened.
3. Once it’s reached the desired viscosity, set aside.
½ cup sweet onion – finely diced
½ cups sugar snap beans
½ cup green beans – cut in half
1 clove garlic – smashed and minced
1 small head of broccoli – cut into florets
1 cup of carrots – julienned
6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced into slivers
1 ½ tsp fresh ginger root – smashed and minced
1 brick of extra firm tofu – cubed (Optional)
½ tbsp salt
2 tbsp Sesame oil (veg oil can be substituted if you have a nut allergy)
1 tbsp water
1/3 cup cashews (optional)
1 cup bok choy or Napa cabbage, shredded
1. In a large skillet or wok, combine oil, water, broccoli, onion, garlic and ginger. Cook on medium heat for 1 minute.
2. Add tofu, carrots, beans, mushrooms, cashews and cabbage and stir fry for another minute.
3. Lastly, pour the sauce over the veggies and stir fry for one final minute to combine the flavors. Serve hot over white/brown rice or noodles!